I'm a 6'5" skinny, blond, looks-like-he's-17, 26 yr. old boy who is 51% Finnish, and half Asian, even though my mother is American. I love hockey and soccer and I love to drum. Camping rocks.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Day 1.5
Well, I have said it before, but I forgot how bad it really is. As a word of caution, if you can, AVOID american airlines. There is less leg room than other carriers and the ceilings are probably about 6 ft 4 inches...and I am 6 ft 6 inches with shoes on. First, I was delayed about an hour and a half for my first flight, which turned out ok since my layover in Chicago was supposed to be about 6 hours. Then, I got on the plane in Chicago, headed for France. It worked out so I had the three middle seats ALL TO MYSELF for the whole flight. THAT was fantastic. I layed myself out and was out before we left. The only thing is, I woke up about 45 to 60 minutes later to find out we still had not left the ground. We ended up being in the plane on the runway for an hour and a half before we went back to fill up with gas again and to pick up a single piece of paper. That is right, a single person slacked on their job of counting some very particular items and the paper work for those items did not make it on board within the first hour and a half. Finally we took off and made it to France about 15 minutes after my flight left from France to Helsinki. So I got on the next flight to Helsinki (I love FINNAIR), but American Airlines did not send my bag over, so I am here in Finland, and my bag is somewhere in France. Actually, we are 90% sure that it is currently in the air from France to Helsinki. Between all of the tiredness and confusion and my sweaty and smelliness, I found one good thing. The French do not use deodarant, so I felt like I fit right in. But now I am in Helsinki at Mervi's house, and I am jumping into the sauna. Peace. Out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Happy to hear you made it. Hopefully your bags got there also. How was the sauna? I forgot to warn you that many parts of Europe do not use deodorant - maybe you can find out why while your there. I think it's just the natural thinking/culture.
*gasp* Mervi's SAUNA?! I'm so jealous. Keep the posts coming.
Josef, where are you now and where are you going? We have children's choir concert tonight, Jakob vs Daniel in Soccer, AP test for Daniel, rehearsal with Jr. High choir...you know, the typical...I hope you've showered!!
Love, Mom
You're SO. LUCKY. That's all
Woah! I didn't know that people have been leaving comments...this is great! Yeah, the sauna was THE BEST THING EVER. Erik, remember that I HAVE invited you to ocme Finland the second week of August. So, figure out some way to make like $12 grand, then you can pay for your mission and come play here. It'll be SO worth it! Oh, and yes, I shower, everyday...everyday that is that I'm NOT traveling on a train the whole day.
that's it. we're building a sauna while your gone.
Daniel
Post a Comment